I always have some sort of project going on. Being a home owner, there is always something to do. It mght be in the kitchen or bathroom or where ever, there is always something I have been putting off.
Occasionally I do a project just for the fun of it. Getting a vintage hi-fi system up and running is one of them.
I’ll likely cover all the components in future posts but this one is focused on the speakers. The speakers in my vintage hi-fi are Advents. These are the “Original Loud Speakers”. They are the first advent speakers and, when they are working correctly can sound really good. Mine, however, are not sounding quite right. By the way, the photo is not my speakers but they are the same model.
I got these speakers at a thrift store years ago and they were not working right. The foam around the woofer was damaged and on one the woofer was not working at all. I bought a refoam kit and went to work hoping that this would fix everything. Unfortunately this did not fix everything and they still didn’t work right. One wooker was still not working so I gave up and they sat in my basement.
Recently I brought them out again and was able to get them both working after a little soldering. Now, however, I found that my refoam job might not have done the trick. Using the speakers I have hear a raspy buzz. If I hold the woofer down it goes away. I’m thinking I need to revisit my refoaming and see if I can do a better job. It’s a project.